The PVMA started in 1946 as a collegial and spirited group of veterinarians from San Mateo and Santa Clara counties. In 1962, the veterinarians formed the current Peninsula and the new Santa Clara Valley Veterinary Medical Associations.
The group first met in Woodside and then at Salvatore’s in San Carlos until 1974. Meetings were moved to the Villa Chartier in San Mateo and moved back to Salvatore’s in 1990. The PVMA moved to The Van’s in Belmont in 1998.
Members of the PVMA have included mayors of San Bruno and San Mateo, and former and current presidents of the California and American Veterinary Medical Associations, as well as the American Animal Hospital Association.